10 Top Tips Within 10 Minutes Of Teviot
When she’s not busy keeping the Wide show on the road, team member Ailsa Harper is out and about reviewing Edinburgh’s newest food spots as @EdinEats on Instagram - so we’ve enlisted her to give you the lowdown on the top 10 places to visit within a 10-minute walk of Teviot...
1. El Cartel is my go-to spot for Mexican food – the menu is small but each dish is packed full of flavour and they serve the best frozen margaritas in town.
Address: 15-16 Teviot Place, EH1 2QZ
2. Paradise Palms (located across the square from Teviot) is not just a bar but also has its own record label, vinyl shop and serves ‘American Diner-inspired’ vegetarian and vegan food. Top tip - make sure you try the buffalo cauliflower.
Address: 41 Lothian Street, EH1 1HB
3. Dough is a firm pizza favourite with a varied menu in which you’ll find something no matter what your tastes are.
Address: 47 South Clerk Street, EH8 9NZ
4. Hula does the most incredible avocado on toast and is also located on what could be the most stunning street in the city (West Bow/Victoria Street) so highly worth the visit.
Address: 103-105 West Bow, EH1 2JP
5. Maki & Ramen is where all your ramen dreams will come true – order pretty much anything on the menu and you’ll be happy, but my favourite is the Master Chef Soyu ramen.
Address: 75 Nicolson Street, EH8 9BZ
6. Chop House serves the best steak in town – they have three branches across the city which usually book up super quick.
Address: Arch 15 East Market Street, EH8 8FS
7. Henderson's of Edinburgh specialise in contemporary vegetarian and vegan cuisine – they have three locations in the city plus a shop and deli. The original restaurant opened in Edinburgh in 1962 so they’ve been dishing up vegetarian food here for more than half a century and we’ve been lucky to have them serving Wide Days delegates over the last few years.
Address: 67 Holyrood Rd, Edinburgh EH8 8AU
8. Timberyard might be a tad £££ but all the food ingredients are supplied by local artisan growers, breeders and foragers, resulting in a truly unique dining experience at this highly recommended family-run business.
Address: 10 Lady Lawson Street, EH3 9DS
9. We can’t look past the calzones at Civerinos – both sweet and savoury (yes, there is a Toblerone dessert calzone and yes, you need to try it, you won’t be disappointed!) or head to their Slice place to grab a pizza slice on the go.
Address: 5 Hunter Square, EH1 1QW and 49 Forrest Road, EH1 2QP
10. And saving the best until last, coffee. Williams & Johnson – a small coffee roastery who have two cafes in Edinburgh, one of which is conveniently located right next to Edinburgh Waverley station.
Address: 3 Waverley Bridge, EH1 1BQ